Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pretty for Ugly

So many pretty things. Over the years, I have been gifted or have purchased so many pretty little things. Pretty little things do catch my eye…Jewels and such; little nothings that don’t cost a fortune, but that bring me a moments happiness. I’d say I’m known for wearing little pretties on my ears and around my neck…nothing too expensive. Base metals mostly. I only have one such pretty left (besides my wedding ring). I wear a pewter cuff engraved with chrysanthemums on my right arm, and I don’t ever take it off. It was given me by a dear friend, and it was the only piece of jewelry I could be sure was created by an artisan, and not made by the hands of those whom could never think of owning such a luxury as these we take for granted, day after day.

This process is such a refining process. I just opened my cupboard to reach for a cup for my little one. She is cutting home-made play dough into little round circles with the rim of a plastic cup we purchased. It’s one of those so commonly seen at pizza parlors, etc…not my idea of pretty, but it was made here in the U.S. It will more than likely adorn our Thanksgiving day table (I cringe at the thought). I really have to get over myself…my need for pretty things. All it really takes is some deep contemplation. Do I really want to live better than 99.9% of the world? Would a child in India or Africa care if she had an ugly plastic cup…and would she even know what play dough is? No. Thank you, God for ugly plastic cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment