Sunday, March 6, 2011

Keepin' up with the Joneses

Why does it embarrass me so much? So my kids’ shoes don’t match all of their clothes. So they wear the same dresses every other Sunday to church. Have you ever walked into a house built in the late 1800’s or early 1900’s? These homes have clothes closets the size of broom closets! Back when clothes cost what they should cost for how much work goes into them, people had their daily work clothes and their Sunday best clothes….and I’m told they were lucky to have more than one pair of shoes. Simpler times. I long for them. I guess what I really long for is that heart change that needs to happen in order for people to spend less on themselves. Mommies would stay home with their babies, people would save for a rainy day and put their credit cards to rest. Neighbors would help eachother out when times got tough…because they’d actually know one another. Instead we’re off to work, shuttling kids to soccer, heading home to spend that hour of quality time in front of the T.V. before sending the little ones off to bed to begin it all again tomorrow, never having the time to build lasting relationships with neighbors…I guess I don’t really need to keep up with the Joneses if I’ve never met them.

No comments:

Post a Comment