Sunday, March 6, 2011

Another Green Day

Yes, I’ll admit it. I shop at Walmart. I don’t like it, but it’s a thirty minute drive to any other store that might have everything I need at this very moment. As I walk the aisles, I notice the word green written on a tag hanging from a pair of flip-flops on a rack. Since the word is obviously not describing the color of these little shoes, I imagine maybe, just maybe I’ve stumbled upon a treasure! An American made shoe, could it be??? Wishful thinking on my part, I know. Finding a pair of shoes made in the U.S. could be compared with finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. I take the label in my hand and read of this wonderful sandal’s eco-friendly attributes. Recycled, sustainable. And, as I feared, sure enough, China. I’m not sure how green shipping sandals half-way around the world is. Good try though. I go home to search the internet and let a few green companies know what I think about their greenness…am I being bitchy? I don’t know. I just think using things like helping our environment as a pitch to sell things that aren’t really making any impact at all (or maybe a very small impact) is dishonest. It is dishonest, isn’t it? Jerking at people’s heart-strings like that. Naughty. I guess true tree-huggers will see through their schemes.

No comments:

Post a Comment